Thursday, July 24, 2008

Desert on Yupo


Desert on Yupo
Originally uploaded by BYarborough
DS paints on Yupo and this time I tried something new! I used YES! paste and tissue paper on the Yupo to get a "collage" type texture for the foremost bush and also the one in the back left. I let this dry and then proceeded with applying the layers of paint. I used the George James technique of smoothing with a sponge roller not just on the first layer, but also on subsequent layers and especially for the ground. I thought it really gave me a good "dirt and sand" look. I used Taylor Ikin's technique for the sky and also for the large bush on the right and back. I tried something new with the prickly pear cactus and just did regular brush stroke painting, very carefully so as not to disturb the underlayers, and then I speckled it with a stippling method. This works only if you make ONE stroke. In the George James DVD, he tells that it is not the water or the paint that causes the underlayers to lift, it is friction on top of the new wet layer which can be caused in several ways, one of which is the brush. All in all, this was a fun project and I just keep striving for more Yupo knowledge!!

No comments: