Sunday, January 06, 2008


SF Golden Gate
My final gate in the series. This one, which should be simple, caused me so much frustration! This is the third attempt and it is still no where NEAR what I had in my head - LOL! It's a bit different than my other gates in it's subject, but I thought since I'm a Californian, I best do THE gate of all gates that we seem to be rather known for. It is done in my Lama Li book and I used all DS paints. I bought the DS set called Color Map Mixing Set - which is 10 tubes that give INCREDIBLE mixes. You can see the color chart on my flickr here
I think I'm going to enjoy working with these pigments.
This morning I got an idea for my next series and I'm really excited about it! It will be "clouds." I've done some research online for some ref photos and there is TONS of really terrific shots of all kinds of clouds. . . I am eager to start.
A side note. . . my friend, Lin Frye, of http://viewfromtheoak.blogspot.com/ recommended a book and dvd to me a few weeks ago, "Watercolor, The Spirit of Spontaneity," by Karlyn Holman and it is fantastic. Karlyn has such innovative ideas and techniques, so I may be implementing some of her techniques in the next series. If you are interested in this book, you can find it here www.karlynholman.com

3 comments:

Teri said...

Brenda, you are right, what a gate series be without the golden ones!! So lovely.
Now I need to check out that book...like I need another one :)

mARTa said...

Hi! I rally like this! I do like the color washes and subtle changes in color...nice greys. This really is the 'mother of all gates!

Tami said...

Yep! Looks like our gate to me, including the hills in the background. Don't know what you had in mind but this is GREAT! Looking forward to your cloud series!