Wednesday, February 21, 2007



Horse

This was done on bristol paper using the Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils. I found the reference photo on WetCanvas. I'm in the chapter on painting animals in Kate's book, "Watercolor Pencil Magic." I chose a photo that was just a head shot rather than the full body of the animal because I'm not very confident that I could get the whole body drawn with correct proportions. I've never really been around horses during my life, but I've always thought they were such majestic animals. The few I have been around were very old and gentle. I think this horse has a very gentle look about him!

6 comments:

Donn said...

You did a wonderful job with the pencils. Lovely portrait of the horse. Congratulations!

lin said...

FABULOUS, BREN!!! FROM EYES TO SHAPE OF THE HEAD.... GORGEOUS!

Carol Holt said...

Beautifully rendered! Wonder job with the AD pencils... I have some coming.

aPugsLife said...

Really nice! I just love horses. :)

Just Crazy About Dogs said...

wow Brenda...haven't visted your site in a while...you've really made some nice progress with your drawings and using the watercolor pencils...Great Job!!!!

Don't you just love working with the colored pencils?

Brenda Y said...

Thank you all! I HAVE enjoyed working with the watercolor pencils and find it quite amazing how the different brands behave differently.