Wednesday, February 21, 2007



Horse

This was done on bristol paper using the Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils. I found the reference photo on WetCanvas. I'm in the chapter on painting animals in Kate's book, "Watercolor Pencil Magic." I chose a photo that was just a head shot rather than the full body of the animal because I'm not very confident that I could get the whole body drawn with correct proportions. I've never really been around horses during my life, but I've always thought they were such majestic animals. The few I have been around were very old and gentle. I think this horse has a very gentle look about him!

6 comments:

Donn said...

You did a wonderful job with the pencils. Lovely portrait of the horse. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS, BREN!!! FROM EYES TO SHAPE OF THE HEAD.... GORGEOUS!

Dabs - Carol Holt said...

Beautifully rendered! Wonder job with the AD pencils... I have some coming.

laserone_ said...

Really nice! I just love horses. :)

Irena said...

wow Brenda...haven't visted your site in a while...you've really made some nice progress with your drawings and using the watercolor pencils...Great Job!!!!

Don't you just love working with the colored pencils?

Brenda Yarborough said...

Thank you all! I HAVE enjoyed working with the watercolor pencils and find it quite amazing how the different brands behave differently.