Saturday, March 24, 2007



Pike Exercise 4

Abandoned boat done on Arches Hot Press. This is the first time I've ever used hot press and I'm not sure if I like it or not. It's smooth like the bristol that I love, but the paint didn't go on as smoothly - not sure why. All in all, I'm not very happy with this for several reasons. First, I don't really like the scene that much and second, I don't particularly like the colors. I didn't get a good "roundness" to the hull of the boat and the broken parts were difficult for me to portray. From a positive standpoint, I like the distant shoreline and I like the looseness - something that is VERY difficult for me.

3 comments:

laserone_ said...

Hiya! I can see how that hull would be difficult. I have a hard time w/ subtly rounded surfaces like that. Beautiful job though, I think! :)

Lin said...

BREN! I LOVE THIS --! While the colors might be brighter -- you've achieved such depth and distance -- the water is wonderful! I REALLY LOVE IT!!! (BTW, I don't like hotpress either!! LOL) You're doing such great things with Pike's book!!!

Anonymous said...

As always I find your comments on the process enlightning. I think you did a fine job on a very challenging subject.