Friday, March 23, 2007


Pike Exercise 3
As I continue on through John Pike's book, this exercise was the most time consuming and difficult thus far. It is a night scene of Burano, a small island near Venice. Although it's not the type of scene I'm fond of, I did find the different elements to be interesting and challenging. John Pike explained that the moonlight is reflected and bouncing - the moon would actually be behind the viewer; and to complicate the light in the scene more, there is the light from the shop window and an unknown light source coming through the archway on the right. The sidewalk and cobbled street are supposed to be wet. Whew - I don't know if I got all these elements right, but it was definitely a learning experience.

4 comments:

Lin said...

BRENDA!! OH HON -- Y OU DID ONE HECK OF A JOB HERE!! BEAUTIFUL .. I SEE WONDERFUL REFLECTIVE LIGHTS, SHADOWS, NIGHTTIME ...

I AM STANDING UP AND CLAPPING: BRAVA!! BRAVA!!! BRAVA!!!!!!

Teri said...

Another beauty and the play of light is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I think you captured this scene very well.

Marilyn said...

This must be the art book you were telling me about on my blog. This is a most unusual image. I find I'm drawn to it's somewhat ethereal -- Your perspective is interesting as well.