Saturday, July 10, 2010

Macro Common House fly


Macro Common House fly
Originally uploaded by BYarborough
I did this for a challenge in WetCanvas, Watermedia forum. In looking through public domain photos, I came upon some macros of flies -- and thought it'd be fun to do a series of different kinds of flies. Here's the first of six and the title is going to be "The Eyes Have It!" This first painting is a common house fly.
I used watercolor canvas (5 x 7) and used DS paints over a light application of oil pastel (on the eyes only). Then I painted the part of the body that is shown with DS interference, violet. I wish the sheen of the interference paints showed up on scans -- it's really cool! The hair was done with a brush and then finer hairs with a Bic black gel pen. This was really fun!!

No comments: