Thursday, August 31, 2006



Hawaiian flowers painted from reference photo taken by Joe Philipson. I don't have any idea what kind of flowers these are (neither does Joe!). This is painted on Strathmore Bristol Vellum (I know. . . this paper is designed for dry work like colored pencils, charcoal, pastels) . . . but I wanted to experiment. The plus side is it doesn't stain as deeply as REAL W/C paper which makes it a tad easier to blend or lift the pigments. The plus side is also the negative side. . . it doesn't penetrate into the paper so it just kind of sits on the surface. I think it might work well for dry brushing and possibly W/C pencils. I also think high key might be the best style. I may end up just setting this tablet aside for when I take Cathy Johnson's next online sketching class!

No comments: