Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Soledad Canyon Wash

Soledad Canyon Wash by BYarborough
Soledad Canyon Wash, a photo by BYarborough on Flickr.

12 x 12 oil on canvas -- using Cobra water mixable oils. This was my first plein air workshop on July 23. I had one big obstacle, the water mixable oils got thick and gummy in the heat. I posed the problem on WetCanvas and was given several solutions to try. The next week (previous post) I tried one and had success! This painting, because of the gumminess I experienced, I had to touch up a bit at home. I also still needed to add the tree trunks and some spots of color on the sand.
The location was right in the middle of the wash, located in Acton. The sand in the wash was so thick I think the legs on my easel must've sunk a good 12 inches - LOL! It was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed instruction from Richard Gallego (gallegoart.com). Rich's impressionistic style is very appealing to me and I hope I can get away from my realistic style.

No comments: